Stop Diabetes

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Attitude of Gratitude-The Unknowing Servant


Wow, today started out rough.  My BG has been so high for several weeks.  Occasionally it'll sneak down below 200 just to tease me, but, not for long.  My fasting BG this morning was 287, where do you from there, except up, right?  So, I went to work feeling really discouraged.
I came into the empty office, dropped my stuff on my desk, started to boot up my computer and decided it would be ok for me to throw myself a pity party.  After all, I was alone, no one would see me being less-than-stoic and upbeat. I sighed heavily and then I heard it.
Nicole Mullin-Call on Jesus


Weary brother
Broken daughter
Widowed, widowed lover
You're not alone
If you're tired and scared of the madness around you
If you can't find the strength to carry on

But when I call on Jesus
All things are possible
I can mount on wings like eagles and soar
When I call on Jesus
Mountains are gonna fall
'Cause He'll move heaven and earth to come rescue me when I call

Call Him in the mornin'
In the afternoon time
Late in the evenin'
He'll be there
When your heart is broken
And you feel discouraged
You can just remember that He said
He'll be there

Our office is sublet to a Christian organization and the president of the foundation was sitting in the conference room, affectionately known as the "War Room," just outside my cubicle. . just minding his own business, working on something, listening to music on Pandora.  This song was randomly chosen by some virtual DJ who probably doesn't even like the song.
I lost it
Right there, at my desk
Blubbering like a baby.

I went in to thank him for following whatever promptings he had felt that morning that had led him into that space.  He didn't know why, he just didn't want to work in his office this morning.  He wanted the space to spread out, or something and decided to park himself in the conference room.

I needed to hear that song, I also needed to hear his heart.  I told him about my discouragement and he began to share his story with me.

His son has autism and was undergoing treatment and doing well.  But, there was a 2 week period in which dad was in S. Africa speaking at a conference.  Son was home with mom and underwent some of the most frightening days he'd ever experienced.  His temper was raging and mom couldn't seem to get control.  Dad was unreachable for a whole week. . it was horrible.  On his way to the airport, he stopped to buy the kids some souvenirs and bumped into a gentleman he had met at the conference.  This man said to him, you know, the other day, I just felt like we weren't finished talking.  What's going on with you and your family?

Dad proceeded to share the story of his son's struggle, the rage, the fear.  This man happened to work with natural remedies and Dad just asked. . do you know of anything that could help my son?  The man answered. . nothing in the USA, but here in S Africa.  He gave him samples to try and low and behold, the son has been great ever since.
This isn't a story about natural medicine or autism or any of that.

To me it's this:  Be Available.

God may want to work some miracle through you, speak to someone's pain through you, paint his fingerprints on someone's heart through you.

Nicole Mullin didn't know the lives that would be touched, the fear that would be calmed, the anger that would be denied, when she wrote that song.

My friend didn't know what impact he would have on me today, just by sitting in another chair this morning.
But, they did as they felt prompted and my mood, my fear, my anger, my discouragement changed.
Thank you to all those unknowing servants, who follow their hearts and bring healing to mine.

2 comments:

  1. Barb,

    You are (and have always been) such an inspiration to me.

    I miss you!!

    Rayna

    PS Our family blog is thesimmonsyatesclan.blogspot.com
    Not inspirational, but does have some pretty darn cute pictures of Sydney (Carri's baby). Yes I am a little bit prejudice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rayna,
    I miss you too!

    I never knew I was all that inspiring, just getting through one day at a time. Thanks for that encouragement!

    I really miss us laughing our heads off for hours and hours. . talking about our kids and softball, etc.

    I love your blog! What a cute baby you have there. Really, you're not just prejudice! I can't wait to be a g'ma, but, I'll have to.

    Talk to you soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete